Today I’m responding to Day 15 of Natalie Sisson’s 30 day blog challenge, yes i know I’ve missed a few days but I’ve been busy working on some of the commitments that I made earlier in the challenge!
Today Natalie is challenging us to talk about how we are building our lists and it’s time to be honest and say I’m not as consistent as I should be. I totally ‘get’ the point of a list. I know that people can’t buy a product they don’t know about from a business they’ve never heard of. I understand that a warm and responsive list is vital and I do try but… It’s confession time!
Some of my mistakes
- I have a list but I’m inconsistent about how often and what I email
- I have an incentive, an e-book, delivered on an autoresponder but I’m not good at following up on that
- I am active on Twitter but have been stuck on around 1715 followers for months. I haven’t tried hard enough to build my following whilst being unable to use following others as the main means to recruit (I’m following 2000 people and Twitter has blocked me following any more until I get more followers #Catch22!)
- I am increasingly active on Facebook and am trying to post regular, useful content on my page as well as engaging with other Facebookers but I have a pitiful number of likes on my page.
- I am an active contributor on Linked In but have won very little business through it.
- I have Pinterest and Google+ accounts but do very little with them
And a small success
I have been blogging since early 2009 but was a bit inconsistent with that too. My New Year’s resolution was to post every Monday and Thursday with thought provoking content for owners of small businesses and would be start ups. I haven’t missed a post yet and I now have a stack of posts written for the next few weeks whilst I concentrate on marking my business’ 21st birthday.
However, whilst I get great feedback from readers there isn’t a lot of engagement on the blog itself. I get some comments in person, and some via Linked In, Facebook and Twitter but a new reader might think that nobody else visits the site because there are not very many comments here. Traffic is now more consistent and comes from all over the world but I won’t get rich via my blog anytime soon!
If you are reading this post I’d love you to visit some of my other articles and tell me what you think. Be honest. What would you like me to do more of or less of?
So what action am I going to take?
- I already offer people the chance to book a 30 minute complimentary call with me at the click of a button but nobody has used it yet. I think the software I use is a bit clunky so I’m going to investigate an alternative. If you’d like to be the first to book click here and choose your slot.
- I have a new e-book in preparation for my business’s 21st birthday celebrations. I will set up a better autoresponder series and link that to a free programme which launches on 21st September.
- I will send an email newsletter at least fortnightly from September onwards
- I will record and promote some useful videos on YouTube and some slide presentations on Slideshare by the end of October.
- I would like to invite you to follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/Glenda_S where I share invitations to events, tips and observations on business and sometimes life in general.
- It would be great if you could also like my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheTrainingPack where I post business tips and ideas picked up on my travels and in my day to day encounters
- I will do further analysis on my most successful blog posts and use the lessons learned as I go forward.
- I will make more effort to engage with other bloggers and explore guest posting for others and on my own site. I will have contributed at least three articles by December 31st. If you would like to guest post here email me with your proposal telling me how your article would be great for my readers.
- By the end of September I will have learned how to insert social media share buttons within my blog posts
That should be enough to keep me out of mischief for a while. What are you doing to build your list? Have you found something that has worked particularly well? Why not share your experiences here?